As a student, you can petition for a proficiency examination to earn credit for a course. If you pass the exam, course credits will be added to the total credits on your transcript as Credit by Proficiency "PR". The following conditions apply:
- You must have a current admissions form on file
- You have not already completed the course for a grade. Conversely, you may not retake a course for a grade if you earned a "PR" for the course previously.
- You have not already completed a higher-level course in the same discipline, as determined by the division chair or program coordinator.
- You may take a proficiency exam for a specific course only once.
Steps to proficiency a course by exam
- Meet with the appropriate division chairperson or program coordinator to determine if you are eligible and to obtain the necessary petition.
- Bring the completed petition to the Accounting Office and pay the examination fee.
- The division chair will schedule the exam for a mutually-agreeable time to both you and the test administrator within 10 days of payment.
- You will receive course objectives, the name of the textbooks and learning materials used in the course, a description of the type of proficiency exam.
- Once the test has been taken and scored, Admissions and Registration Office will notify you in writing of the results.
The registrar may grant exceptions.