Small business is the real muscle of the Illinois economy. In 1995, 85 percent of all new jobs were created by small businesses. Nearly 4.4 million Illinois residents depend on a small business for their livelihood.
Illinois SBDC Network
Throughout Illinois, small business is connected through a network of service providers. All of the following assistance centers can be accessed through the Small Business Development Center at KCC:
- The Procurement Technical Assistance Center
- International Trade Center
- NAFTA Opportunity Center
- Small Business Innovation Research Center
- Business Incubators
- Office of Minority Business Development
- Office of Women's Business Development
- Office of Small Business Environmental Assistance
Illinois celebrates 30 years of small business development
Illinois Small Business Development Centers are located throughout the state, and the network has been in existence for 30 years. KCC's center is celebrating how its programs have served small businesses in Kankakee and Iroquois counties.
Ken Crite, coordinator of the Illinois SBDC at KCC, and Melanie DeVore and Lance Murray, local entrepreneurs, were recently interviewed on WKCC. Learn how KCC's SBDC helped get their businesses off the ground.
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at KCC
- provides comprehensive information services and access to experts in many fields
- develops and maintains partnerships among community organizations and local, state and federal agencies
- provides technical and management assistance through one-on-one counseling and group training to potential business owners.
Seminars are offered on topics of interest to small business owners, including developing a business plan, sales tax compliance, marketing, recordkeeping and financing a business. Upcoming seminars are listed in our online class schedule – look for courses with SBDC as the prefix (ex.:SBDC-9006-Q11).
SCORE is a group of volunteers who have had successful business careers as company executives or business owners. The volunteers give free business counseling to new or prospective business owners.
SCORE is a joint venture between the Small Business Development Center and the Kankakee River Valley Chamber of Commerce.
For more information about SBDC programs, contact Ken Crite at 815-802-8222 or email email@example.com.
The Illinois Small Business Development Center programs were developed through a partnership between the U.S. Small Business Administration, the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity and Kankakee Community College as a service to all Illinois small businesses under cooperative agreement #0-7620-0014-17.