Associate in Applied Science Degree - PTA.AAS.C30
This program prepares students to be entry-level physical therapist assistants who function effectively in an ever-changing healthcare environment. This two-year Associate in Applied Science program consists of five consecutive semesters of classroom and clinical education with a strong emphasis on professional standards. As a cohort, students progress from classroom to clinical experiences in a variety of physical therapy settings. Graduates are eligible to take the national licensing examination. This degree typically is not designed for transfer.
For program entry requirements, consult a KCC advisor, also see Information on Health Career Programs and read the minimum abilities requirements. Save and/or print this fillable eligibility check sheet.
Program Director: Jessica Corbus, email email@example.com, phone 815-802-8816.
All courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
Physical Therapist Assistant major (16 courses)
Credit hours: 54
PHTA courses must be completed in the order shown in the course sequence and must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- PHTA 1101 – Introduction to Health Care*
- PHTA 1115 – PTA Fundamentals I*
- PHTA 1133 – PTA Fundamentals II*
- PHTA 1172 – Pathology I for the PTA*
- PHTA 1243 – Manual Therapy for the PTA*
- PHTA 1246 – Kinesiology*
- PHTA 1272 – Pathology II for the PTA*
- PHTA 2001 – Professional Standards of the PTA*
- PHTA 2053 – PTA Clinical Practicum I*
- PHTA 2145 – Orthopedics for the PTA*
- PHTA 2156 – PTA Fundamentals III*
- PHTA 2185 – PTA Fundamentals IV*
- PHTA 2293 – PTA Fundamentals V*
- PHTA 2224 – PTA Clinical Practicum II*
- PHTA 2234 – PTA Clinical Practicum III*
- PHTA 2201 – Current Issues in PT Practice*
General Education (5 courses)
Credit hours: 17
Complete all three sub-requirements. Courses must be taken prior to or within the semester where they are shown in the course sequence.
1. Communications – 6 credit hours
- ENGL 1613 – English I*
- SPCH 1553 – Introductory Speech*
2. Laboratory Science –8 credit hours
- BIOL 2644 – Anatomy & Physiology I*
- BIOL 2654 – Anatomy & Physiology II*
3. Social and Behavioral Science -3 credit hours
- PSYC 1813 – Introduction to Psychology*
Minimum credit hours required for completion: 71
Physical Therapist Assistant A.A.S. — Suggested course sequence
PHTA courses must be taken in sequence.
Fall semester first year
|ENGL 1613 English I*
|BIOL 2644 Anatomy & Physiology I*
|PHTA 1101 Introduction to Healthcare*
|PHTA 1115 PTA Fundamentals I*
|PHTA 1133 PTA Fundamentals II*
|PHTA 1172 Pathology I for the PTA*
Spring semester first year
|BIOL 2654 Anatomy & Physiology II*
|PSYC 1813 Introduction to Psychology*
|PHTA 1243 Manual Therapy for the PTA*
|PHTA 1246 Kinesiology*
|PHTA1272 Pathology II for the PTA*
Interim and Summer term
|SPCH 1553 Introductory Speech*
|PHTA 2001 Professional Standards of the PTA*
|PHTA 2053 PTA Clinical Practicum I*
Fall semester second year
|PHTA 2145 Orthopedics for the PTA*
|PHTA 2156 PTA Fundamentals III*
|PHTA 2185 PTA Fundamentals IV*
Spring semester second year
|PHTA 2293 PTA Fundamentals V*
|PHTA 2224 Clinical Practicum II*
|PHTA 2234 Clinical Practicum III*
|PHTA 2201 Current Issues in PT Practice*
*Course has prerequisite.
Additional Program Information
KCC is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 N. Fairfax St., Alexandria, VA 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website: http://www.capteonlineorg/.
Each student in this program must have a physical exam, criminal background check without any disqualifying convictions, a negative drug screen, and current CPR certification from the American Heart Association (BLS for Healthcare Provider) or American Red Cross (Professional Rescuer: adult, child & infant or AED).
The curriculum of record for students applying to, but not yet accepted into, competitive entry health careers programs will be the Associate in General Studies.