Associate in Applied Science Degree - PTA.AAS.C30
This program prepares students to be entry-level physical therapist assistants who function effectively in an ever-changing healthcare environment. This two-year Associate in Applied Science program consists of five consecutive semesters of classroom and clinical education with a strong emphasis on professional standards. As a cohort, students progress from classroom to clinical experiences in a variety of physical therapy settings. Graduates are eligible to take the national licensing examination. This degree typically is not designed for transfer.
For program entry requirements, consult a KCC advisor, and also see Information on Health Career Programs and read the minimum abilities requirements. Save and/or print this fillable eligibility check sheet.
Learn more: email email@example.com, phone 815-802-8500
Program director: Jessica Corbus, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 815-802-8816
Physical Therapist Assistant major (14 courses)
Credit hours: 47
All courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C. PHTA courses must be completed in the order shown in the course sequence.
- PHTA 1101 – Introduction to Health Care*
- PHTA 1115 – PTA Fundamentals I*
- PHTA 1224 – Kinesiology*
- PHTA 1234 – PTA Fundamentals II*
- PHTA 2001 – Professional Standards of the PTA*
- PHTA 2043 – Pathology for the PTA*
- PHTA 2053 – Clinical Practicum I*
- PHTA 2164 – Orthopedics for the PTA*
- PHTA 2175 – PTA Fundamentals III*
- PHTA 2185 – PTA Fundamentals IV*
- PHTA 2293 – PTA Fundamentals V*
- PHTA 2224 – Clinical Practicum II*
- PHTA 2234 – Clinical Practicum III*
- PHTA 2201 – Current Issues in PT Practice*
General Education (7 courses)
Credit hours: 24
Complete all four sub-requirements. All general education courses must be taken prior to or within the semester where they are shown in the course sequence.
1. Communications – 6 credit hours
- ENGL 1613 – English I*
- SPCH 1553 – Introductory Speech*
2. Laboratory Science – 12 credit hours
- BIOL 2644 – Anatomy & Physiology I* 1
- BIOL 2654 – Anatomy & Physiology II* 1
- PSCI 1514 – Introduction to Physical Science* 1,2
3. Social and Behavioral Science – 3 credit hours
- PSYC 1813 – Introduction to Psychology*
4. Elective – 3 credit hours
- CHOOSE ONE of the following: HLTH 1513 – Nutrition*; PSYC 2573 – Adulthood and aging*; or an IAI general education core course not previously taken for the PTA curriculum.
Minimum credit hours required for completion: 71
*Course has prerequisite.
1Must be completed with a minimum grade of C.
2May substitute CHEM 1504 - Basic Chemistry* or higher college level chemistry* and PHYS 1514 - General Physics I* or higher college level physics*.
Suggested course sequence
PHTA courses must be taken in sequence.
Fall semester first year
Spring semester first year
Interim and Summer term
Fall semester second year
Spring semester second year
*Course has prerequisite.
Additional Program Information
The KCC Physical Therapist Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 N. Fairfax St., Alexandria, VA 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: http://www.capteonline.org/.
Each student in this program must have a physical exam, criminal background check without disqualifying conviction, negative drug screen, and current CPR certification for the health care provider.
The curriculum of record for students applying to, but not yet accepted into, competitive entry health careers programs will be the Associate in General Studies.
This curriculum is being reviewed in anticipation of revisions. Consult a Health Careers advisor for details.