Sponsored by the Illinois Board of Higher Education and the Illinois Community College Board, the Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) ensures that completion of the general education core curriculum at any participating institution in Illinois transfers to meet lower division (freshman and sophomore) general education core requirements at more than 100 participating Illinois colleges and universities.
The agreement is in effect for students entering an associate or baccalaureate degree-granting institution as a first-time freshman in summer 1998 and thereafter.
For an outline of requirements, see the IAI General Education Core below. An IAI course number followed by:
- L designates a laboratory course;
- N designates a non-Western culture course; and
- D designates a diversity course.
The General Education Core courses also are identified by code at the end of the individual course descriptions. Those codes include:
- IAI: Communications
- IAI: Mathematics
- IAI: Fine Arts
- IAI: Physical Science
- IAI: Humanities
- IAI: Social and behavioral Science
- IAI: Life science
The Illinois Articulation Initiative panels have designated some courses as major-specific within curriculums. While the IAI General Education Core specifies elective choices, IAI Major-Specific courses clarify which courses are appropriate for transfer into the selected major at a four-year institution.
A notation is included at the end of course descriptions for IAI Major-Specific courses. See course descriptions.
For the latest information on IAI requirements, visit the IAI website.
To see how your courses transfer, log on to the MyCreditsTransfer site on iTransfer. MyCreditsTransfer is an online tool that will help you view program requirements, course equivalencies, and see how courses you have taken or plan to take transfer to another college or university.
The following requirements are mandatory for all students who entered a KCC transfer program in summer 1998 and thereafter.
Three courses, including a two-course sequence in writing (six credit hours) and one course (three credit hours) in oral communications. Both writing courses must be completed with a grade of C or better.
- * ENGL 1613 - English I (IAI: C1 900)
- * ENGL 1623 - English II (IAI: C1 901R)
- * SPCH 1553 - Introductory Speech (IAI: C2 900)
Two courses, with one course selected from the life sciences and one course from the physical sciences. At KCC, all of the following are laboratory courses.
- * BIOL 1504 - Principals of Biology (IAI: L1 900L)
- * BIOL 1514 - General Biology I (IAI: L1 900L)
- * BIOL 1554 - Human Biology (IAI: L1 904L)
- * BIOL 1584 - Environmental Biology (IAI: L1 905L)
- *CHEM 1514 - General Chemistry I (IAI: P1 902L)
- *PHYS 1514 - General Physics I (IAI: P1 900L)
- *PHYS 2614 - Physics I (IAI: P2 900L)
- *PSCI 1514 - Introduction to Physical Science (IAI: P1 900L)
- *PSCI 1524 - Earth Science & Astronomy (IAI: P1 905L)
Mathematics - 3 to 6 credit hours.
One or two courses.
- *MATH 1623 - Mathematics for Elementary Teachers II (IAI: M1 903)1
- *MATH 1704 - Contemporary Mathematics (IAI: M1 904)
- *MATH 1713 - Finite Mathematics (IAI: M1 906)
- *MATH 1774 - Statistics/*BSNS 2514 - Business Statistics (IAI: M1 902)
- *MATH 1833 - Calculus for Business & Social Science (IAI: M1 900-B)
- *MATH 2515 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry I (IAI: M1 900-1)
- *MATH 2524 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry II (IAI: M1 900-2)
- *MATH 2534 - Calculus and Analytic Geometry III (IAI: M1 900-3)
Three courses, with at least one course selected from general humanities and at least one course from the fine arts or interdisciplinary categories. Courses with an IAI code ending in a 'D' or an 'N' may meet the non-Western Culture or Diversity requirement of some majors.
- * ENGL 1713 - Introduction to Poetry (IAI: H3 903)
- * ENGL 1743 - Introduction to Literature (IAI: H3 900)
- * ENGL 1853 - Introduction to Shakespeare (IAI: H3 905)
- * ENGL 2613 - Ancient Medieval World Literature (IAI: H3 906)
- * ENGL 2623 - Modern World Literature (IAI: H3 907)
- * ENGL 2723 - American Literature up to 1865 (IAI: H3 914)
- * ENGL 2733 - American Literature from 1865 to Present (IAI: H3 915)
- * HIST 1513 - History of Western Civilization to 1648 (IAI: H2 901)
- * HIST 1533 - History of Western Civilization 1648 to Present (IAI: H2 902)
- * HIST 1643 - Middle East History 600 to Present (IAI: H2 903N)
- * HUMS 2613 - World Religions (IAI: H5 904N)
- * PHIL 2513 - Introduction to Philosophy (IAI: H4 900)
- * PHIL 2523 - Ethics (IAI: H4 904)
- * PHIL 2533 - Logic (IAI: H4 906)
- * PHIL 2713 - Introduction to Religion (IAI: H4 905)
- * SPAN 2524 - Intermediate Spanish II (IAI: H1 900)
- * ARTS 1553 - Art Appreciation (IAI: F2 900)
- * ARTS 1613 - Survey of Art I (Caves to Cathedrals)(IAI: F2 901)
- * ARTS 1623 - Survey of Art II (Renaissance to Rococo)(IAI: F2 902)
- * ARTS 1633 - Survey of Art III (1800 to Present) (IAI: F2 902)
- * ENGL 1723 - Introduction to Film Study (IAI: F2 908)
- *MUSC 1513 - Music Appreciation (IAI: F1 900)
- *MUSC 1623 - World Music: (IAI F1 903N)
- * HUMS 1513 - Introduction to Humanities (IAI: HF 900)
- * HUMS 1813 - African-American Cultural Expression (IAI: HF 906D)
Three courses selected from at least two different prefixes. Courses with an IAI code ending in a 'D' or an 'N' may meet the non-western culture or diversity requirement of some majors.
- * ANTH 1713 - Introduction to Anthropology (IAI: S1 90ON)
- * ANTH 1743 - Introduction to Archaeology (IAI: S1 903)
- * ECON 1553 - Principles of Macroeconomics (IAI: S3 901)
- * ECON 1563 - Principles of Microeconomics (IAI: S3 902)
- * GEOG 1513 - World Regional Geography (IAI: S4 900N)
- * HIST 2513 - History of the United States to 1877 (IAI: S2 900)
- * HIST 2523 - History of the United States 1877 to Present (IAI: S2 901)
- * HIST 2533 - Latin American History (IAI: S2 911N)
- * PLSC 1513 - American Government (IAI: S5 900)
- * PLSC 1523 - State & Local Government (IAI: S5 902)
- * PLSC 2613 - Introduction to International Relations (IAI:S5 904N)
- * PSYC 1813 - Introduction to Psychology (IAI: S6 900)
- * PSYC 2553 - Lifespan Developmental Psychology (IAI: S6 902)
- * PSYC 2573 - Adulthood and Aging (IAI: S6 905 Pending Approval)
- * PSYC 2773 - Social Psychology (IAI: S8 900)
- * SOCY 2513 - Sociology (IAI: S7 900)
- * SOCY 2523 - Contemporary Social Problems (IAI: S7 901)
- * SOCY 2543 - Race & Ethnic Relations (IAI: S7 903D)
- * SOCY 2553 - Marriage and the Family (IAI: S7 902)
*Course has prerequisite.
1Math 1623 fulfills the IAI transferable general education core curriculum requirements only for students seeking state certification as elementary teachers and who are following the Elementary Education Associate in Arts curriculum guide. Math 1623 does not meet the KCC general math requirements for other Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degrees. Consult your advisor.