What is academic advising?
Academic advisors are specially trained to assist you with course selection for your first semester and with your transition to KCC. You will receive information about the programs, resources, and services available to students. Make the most of your advising meeting and ask questions – we're here to help! Connecting with your advisor is important for academic success. Advisors can help you
- Assess your interests, abilities, and career goals;
- Select the courses required to complete your degree;
- Make full use of the resources and facilities at Kankakee Community College;
- Understand college policies and procedures; and
- Develop strategies to be successful in the college environment and beyond.
Academic advisement mission
The mission of KCC’s Academic Advisement Program is to empower our students to achieve the academic goal(s) they set for themselves, knowing that those goals may change over time. That mission involves assisting students with (a) choosing an appropriate career goal, (b) developing an educational plan that meets their individual needs, (c) strengthening decision-making skills, and (d) learning success skills for higher education. Teaching is a significant component of our program’s developmental mission.