Student Code of Conduct
KCC is an educational institution with a collegiate environment and thus has an obligation to adopt rules and regulations that both respect and protect the rights of its students and the campus community. Admission to Kankakee Community College carries with it the expectation that students will conduct themselves as responsible members of the College community, that they will comply with established rules and regulations of the College, maintain high standards of honesty and integrity, and respect the rights, privileges, and property of other members of the College community.
As a postsecondary institution of higher education, KCC encourages students to rise above the minimum standards, and work to build a community of learners where all members of the College community show respect for the views of others and to accept responsibility for their own actions. The violation of KCC policies, rules and regulations is counterproductive to building a learning community. Hence, the College will act immediately to protect the life and property of KCC, while maintaining and balancing the rights of students and the KCC community. The right of every student to learn will be protected by implementing the KCC Code of Conduct. Every student who accepts enrollment at KCC agrees to abide by all policies, rules and regulations published at the College. To this end, the College is committed to a community of learners where all students have the same opportunity to succeed.
The College further recognizes each student's procedural right to due process, which includes providing notice setting forth the alleged violation(s), and a speedy and fair hearing and appeal process. Any member of the College community can initiate an accusation of an alleged violation. If a student is accused and cited for an alleged violation, he or she will receive notice of the alleged violation.
Each student is responsible for reading and complying with the Student Code of Conduct and Academic Integrity policy, which are made available in the College catalog, and on the KCC Website.
It's not just your college - it's your community
During any given semester, Kankakee Community College has more than 2200 students enrolled in classes. In order to maintain a respectful and safe learning environment, students are expected to acquaint themselves with the Student Code of Conduct. The code was designed to protect the integrity of the campus climate and has been constructed upon several values important to KCC. In general, students are expected to:
- Respect fellow students, staff, and faculty
- Accept responsibility
- Demonstrate fair-mindedness
- Practice honesty
- Be tolerant of differences
- Demonstrate civility
The choices we make reflect who we are
College is a time for learning, both inside and outside the classroom. Each member of the campus community, instructors, staff, and students alike, contribute to the uniqueness of our campus.
The responsible student should:
- Arrive on time to class.
- Read the course syllabus.
- Demonstrate respect in expressing opinions and listening to others.
- Silence cell phone and other electronic devices.
- Attend every class session.
- Come to class prepared. Expect an average of 2 hours homework for every hour in class.
- Participate in classroom activities.
- Understand and demonstrate the instructor's behavior expectations.
- Complete all assignments in a timely manner.
- Remain in class until dismissed.
- Give the instructor your full attention.
- Communicate with the instructor according to his or her instructions (phone, e-mail, or Canvas).
- Notify the instructor regarding concerns with any of the above.